Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Sunday in Seoul...

This weekend Sang-do invited me to go shopping. I took the subway by myself, which I was pretty proud of! At first all of the subway lines are pretty intimidating, but once you figure out how to read the map its pretty easy. I headed to Seoul to meet him at a transfer station. While waiting I used the bathroom. This is what I used:
Granted... I have "popped a squat" many times, but it was weird when I HAD to squat to pee! I stared at this toilet for a good 2 minutes. I had to decide how to approach this because I was wearing a skirt. Really its not too terrible, but I will make sure that I "drop the kids off at the pool" before I head out anywhere. I dont think I could handle poopin in one of these!

Shopping with Sang-do was quite the experience. We went to these "Markets" in the South of Seoul. I was expecting giant, outdoor markets, but they were huge indoor shopping centers. Floors, upon floors of clothes, shoes, purses, jewlery, anything really. To be honest it was a bit overwhelming, because there was sooo much stuff, but I did manage to buy a pretty nice sweater and t-shirt.

Afterwards we headed to dinner. Sang-do treated met to Tapoki, a favorite dish among Koreans. It is rice cakes mixed in a spicy sauce. It is super cheap (around 3-5000 won) and pretty delicious.


We had noodle tapoki. The rice cakes take on the spicy sauce flavour, and there are loads of vegetables inside. I was suprised beacuse I actually enjoyed the spicyness (and I am not usually a fan) but towards the end my mouth was burning a bit!

We ended the day walking through a tourist alley, with loads of street vendors and small shops. I enjoyed the walk, but it was about -8 around this time, so I wasnt really able to look around like I would have liked. We did watch this guy make Kkultarae, a Korean cake.



It was really neat because the guy started with a hard block of honey. Then divided it into two long strings, wrapped it around to make 4, then 8, then 16, then 32, etc...... Eventually he had like 2000 tiny little strings of honey. They wrap this around a mixture (we got Almond flavour) to make the "cake". Its not very sweet, but the strings are so delicate.

Overall it was a pretty sucessful trip! Shopping, food, and candy made a pretty good Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment