Monday, January 17, 2011

Domo, Domo, Domo, Mr. Roboto

Aside from a great weekend socially, I also had a couple fantastic meals. I ate sushi at this place called "Domo" in Ansan. One of those places that I never would have found, or tried, without the help of other people! The greatest thing about Domo is that it is fairly westernized, so there are a lot of fusion rolls (the owner lived in LA for 9 years, speaks good English) and really great prices.

Each dinner comes with starting appetizers. Kimchi (the red cabbage) is standard with every meal in Korea, but at Domo's we also got ginger, turnips, garlic, mushrooms and some brown pickled stuff (top right) that is slightly spicy and a bit oniony.

 Then with an order you get a noodle soup, almost like a miso, but with thick noodles and tofu. We ordered Edamame (for 1,000 won) and honestly by this time I was thinking, I ordered way too much sushi!!!


 Yes... they brought me out two rolls. Why, you ask, did I order two rolls when there was soo much other food? Well normally back at home california rolls are small, and any other roll that is bigger is really expensive. At Domo's??? Not the case.  I ordered  TNT roll (the first one) and a california roll (with orange and green fish eggs). The rolls were HUGE!!!! The TNT roll was a crab roll with shrimp tempura and sauce topping, and was delicious. Because of the topping it was a meal in itself.



 Really, what I ordered could have been enough from two. Good thing there were other people with me, because it was so much food. The best thing? My meal was less than 11 dowla. Awesome! Just awesome!




I had also tried an all you can eat Korean BBQ. Let me rephrase: All you can eat MEAT! Pork (lots and lots of pork- sausage, bacon, curry sausage) and beef (lean, fatty, teryaki) and unlimited amounts. Korean BBQ requires you to sit down and cook your own meat at a BBQ in the table.



With Korean BBQ you coo the meat, then wrap it in lettuce and add any toppings (garlic, kimchi, onions, relish, whatever is on the table). Wrap it up and pop the whole thing in your mouth. Delicious.

While nothing like this would work in America or Canada (beacuse there would probably be no meat left after about an hour) it was great here!! It seems like most people eat within reason, though I will say... I dreamt of meat all nigt long.....

No comments:

Post a Comment