Saturday, April 2, 2011

Whats in a name?

At our school, each time we get new students, we ask if they have an English name. Some of them do have English names that they use- I get the luxury of naming those who don't!

I can be harder than you think! So I usually have a "theme" for the week. Such "themes" include:

My home girls names:
Natasha
Stefanie
Laura
Krista
Danielle
Lindy (called "Rindy" the whole time!)


Danielle and Natasha

The girls were all named after a friend. Except for Kim. Almost a third of my students last name is Kim, so Kim Kim isn't the greatest English name!

A few weeks ago I named my team after Sex and the City characters. Samantha, Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, Aiden, Standford and Steve. Sadly none of the boys wanted to be "Mr. Big" or "Berger."

Last week I named my kids after planets:



Venus, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, and Mercury. They were soooo cute!!!! And actually, by the end of the week Mercury was really growing on me! Such a cute girl, and she suited the name! Future child of Trevor's, Mercury McFarland? Hmmm....

This week most of the kids had English names. Except the boys. Meet Michael and Jackson.


The terrible two! Like the singer, they left the school legends, for their mischief and dynamic behaviour!


I tried a Canucks theme one week. But Luongo, Sedin and Kesler were just too hard for the kids to pronounce!! Don't worry, I haven't dismissed my Canucks yet. Soon. The streets of Ansan will be filled with children named after the future Stanley Cup winners :)

1 comment: