Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What do I think of Korean gentlemen?

Okay... so I know I haven't posted in a while. A trip to Hawaii and a small case of food poisoning has set my blogging on a back burner. While most of you are thinking....wait.... Hawaii?  thought she was in Korea? I can explain.....but first a few things that happened pre-Hawaii:

Our school was buzzing with the excitment of an upcoming holiday! Seol-nal is the Korean Lunar New Year and our school was closed for the week. Back home most people know it as "Chinese New Year". I learned that it is a holiday that is highly celebrated in Korea, where people go see their familys, eat lots of food, visit and practice traditional customs.... sounds almost like an American Thanksgiving, minus the football and greenbean casserole.Okay... I am sure its much different, but its the closest equivilant I can think of!!! For the holiday the school gave all of the teachers a very nice black-plum-wine-set. Its calle "Bokbunjajoo". Stay tuned to see if its as delicious as it looks.




Trish gave me a Korean pear, much like the "asian" pear we sell at Thriftys, but larger, and much juicier!!!



The rest of the week went by really fast, considering that there was a holiday coming up! Yes, I got to meet the mayor of Ansan! During our winter sessions we had a class that was called "Flea Market". Students would bring in stuff from their house that they didnt want any more, and we would put everything out on a table and sell it to the students. It was like a garage sale! (as many of you know, I love a good garage sale... fiddy cent!!!) So what does this have to do with the mayor? Well all of the money that we made at the flea market was donated to the city of Ansan, for low income families. We made around $1200 which is pretty good considering everything was between .10- $1.00.

The mayor of Ansan is a man of few English words. So the head of the school, Mr. Jang, had to translate. The mayor asked me what was my favorite thing about Ansan City. In my head all I could think of was Touch me Party, Touch me Party, Touch me Party!!!!! Of course I couldn't say that to him!!!! After a momentary pause, I said I loved the parks, especially Ansan Lake park. He then asked me what I thought of Korean gentlemen. This one I wasn't exactly sure how to answer. In general? Their looks? You? I went with a pretty standard answer. "Their very nice and kind." And smiled me sweetest smile!!!

Yon-Ju, Me, The Mayor, John, Mr. Jung



This picture was actually published in the paper!!!  And I got to hold a semi-giant cheque, so it was a pretty good day!!!!

1 comment: