Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Uzbekistanian Food**

**Disclaimer: I have realized (and been told my many) that my blog continually showcases food and drinks much more than anything else. But I believe that part of learning about a different culture is through food and the socializing that comes along with it. Wether its the meals themselves or the people you share them with, food brings people together and is just a gateway to other experiences. Korea has opened up my palate to a wide array off flavours and dishes I never would have experienced back home. And while casual drinking is done back home, in Korea it has allowed me to get to know some wonderful people from all over the world and see down to the nitty gritty of this fabulous country. So "Gun Bae" to a second serving of something delicious!!!!!


What do I say when someone asks if I want to go eat Uzbekistanian Food?  "Sure!!!! What is Uzbekistanian??" A fellow teacher was getting ready to end his contract and relocate to Hong Kong. He wanted to try different foods in Ansan before he left and heard that this Uzbekistan restraunt was great. Ok, I can plead my ignorance, I had no idea where Uzbekistan was, or what kind of food they would have, but why not? It gave me a chance to visit with my coworkers and try something I havent had before!


It was literally down a small alley, at Ansan station (the one place where the only murder in 5 years has taken place and thus considered "ghetto"), that I never, ever would have found if I wasn't with people who knew where they were going.


After all of my excitiment about eating Uzbekistan food, what did I end up eating?


CABBAGE ROLLS! Thats right. Good, old fashion cabbage rolls. As it turns out it was almost like Eastern  European food, with lots borsche, perogies, cabbage rolls, and kabobs. And while it wasnt at all what I was excpecting, it was delicious none the less. The cabbage rolls were in a broth, and came with vegetables and stuffed pepper. All of it was melt-in-your-mouth good! However, was it authentic Uzebekistanian food? That remains unknown. Hmm... maybe I will just have to venture there to find out for sure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment